1961: John Pitson
After six years in the RAF, in 1946 John Pitson returned to Harrow Press to complete his apprenticeship as a Compositor. After a short spell with WH Smith he rejoined HMSO in the newly formed Typographic Design and Layout Section under Harry Carter. He spent thirteen years in ‘L’ then transferred to Printing & Binding before itchy feet led him to Australia and the post of Director of Typography in The Australian Government Printing Office. There amongst many other achievements he produced the classic ‘Australian Style Manual’ (1966) and was later awarded an MBE.
These photos show him: Top, seated on the right with John Westwood standing on the left, and a government customer wedged between in Atlantic House; bottom left in 1961 again in the studio; and finally in 2000 in Broulee, New South Wales, where he retired.
(Photos from GD Archive)